Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Being a guest

I swore the last time we had company I would write a book on being a gracious guest. After all, there are hundreds of titles on being a gracious host but not a one could I find on being a good guest. that is until today!  JOY! 
We used to have people over a lot. Then we started fostering and after that we became acutely aware of peoples ungraciousness when coming to our home. We have encountered rude comments regarding our foster children, damage to our personal property ( without so much  as an apology let alone an offer to cover some of the cost) we have had guests leave dirty dishes around the house, garbage on the floors, and the list can and does go on.
Now we are not the ritz, but we do put a lot of effort into preparing for guests, we clean and do menus, we take time to plan activities as well as try to fit in some sit and visit time. We check for food sensitivities and generally go out of our way for guests. We prep our any kids in our house at the time on manners and setting examples.
Not so anymore, we quit when the last guests we had sent me to my bedroom in tears.
Today my hope has been renewed.
A book that confirms that how I was feeling was not unreasonable; that my hurt feelings weren't in vain.  There is someone else out there who has been misused by guests!
The book is called the art of visiting by Kathy Bertone
Here is a overview of the becoming a guest section of the book..
1, seven simple steps to a smooth visit, includes topics like if your late call, bring a gift, be complimentary
2, The twelve essential qualities of a great guest, includes, grateful, respectful, self-caring, all music to my wounded soul
3, Leave a lasting impression, be remembered for what you did not what you didn't do ( preach it sister), send a thank you note, from your kids as well.
Honestly I couldn't have written it better myself!
It does include how to be a good host, visiting with older guests and a section on traveling with children, with the not so obvious section called, You're not off the hook: take responsibility for your children... yes it is true that someone somewhere had to write that out for people.

 I  have gleaned a few tips that I will implement next time I go visit my in laws, like send a thank you note. I humbly admit I am a terrible thank you note sender. Not anymore! If you host, or intend on being a guest it's worth the $16.00 on amazon, but, don't buy it for someone who isn't a good hostess or guest though, that won't make the next visit go any better! ;)

And just for fun, a few pictures of our current "house guests"





6 in total... well 7 if you include the dog!!

No comments: