Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for MOM

I have a mom.

I have a mom-in-law.

I am a mom.
(not necessarily in that order :)

They say you don't fully appreciate your mom until you have a teenage daughter or boys. Well I am here to say "ain't that the truth"! We have a teenage daughter and I must say I have apologized profusely to my mother for the years of stupid things I did and needless worry I put her through. 
I have 4 boys at home under the age of 7... I often bless the mothers who have courageously gone before us.
I ponder the type of mother I want to be, and often find myself falling short due to my biggest flaw, which is, over commitment. I am so busy I don't stop to look and listen to my kids. I don't stop to laugh with the kids, I rarely have the time to sit and just be with my kids. Everything always seems to be rushed.
I am sure if you were to ask any member of this growing household they would gladly give you a list of things I do wrong on a daily basis, such as, Mom makes us do our chores, mom makes us brush our teeth and do our homework and clean our rooms and do our reading..... Those things are building skills in my kids. responsability even. So even though I am on the "mean mom" side of things often, I think my kids know I love them and that I really want the best for them.
I want them to grow up respecting boundries and rules, having a good work ethic, to be honest, to do their best, to love the Lord.
And to know that they can always come home for a hug from their mommy  :)






I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom !
Keep on pedaling!
Love
Gramma

Dennis and Valerie said...

:) I guess since I don't have a teenage daughter (yet) OR boys maybe I don't appreciate my mom yet.... but I since I actually went through my bad years at the ages of 11-14 I have already done a lot of apologizing for that. :) This was a great post. Keep it up, my fellow "mean" mom! :)

Li said...

I started to appreciate my Mom (actually both parents) in middle school, when a) she stuck up for me several times and b) when I started to stay overnight at friends' houses and got a look at how some families got along...or didn't. My admiration for her has only grown, and we are still best friends. And I know how lucky and blessed I am to have that, believe me! I think you're probably a great Mom, especially since you have a sense of humor and that's important :-)