E is for...
Education!!
Ecce homo: Latin for “behold the man!” John 19:5
Egregious: Extraordinarily bad.
Eisteddfod: an assembly of Welsh Poets and musicians (a little tribute to our daughter and niece.. who claim their names from the welsh!)
Ekistics: the study of ecology of human beings in settlements or communities
Elasmobranch: any subclass of fishes having a cartilaginous skeleton and five to seven pairs of gill slits opening directly to the outside from the pharynx.
Empiric: A person who lacks theoretical or scientific knowledge and relies entirely on practical experience.
Epithalamium: A poem or song in honour of a bride or groom or newly married couple.
Ersatz: substitute
Eruct: Belch
Euphorbia: any of a genus of plants of the spurge family, including the spurges and poinsettia, all having a milky juice or latex which is some species is poisonous.
Ewer: A large water jug with a wide mouth and spout.
Excelsior: Short fine curled shavings of soft wood OR a size of printing type. (Huh?!)
And last but not least in the dictionary that I have that is...
Eyrir: A unit of money in Iceland.
not only do I hope you feel a little more edumacated after this post.. but invite you to edumacate the rest of us on which one of these extraordinary words you already knew!
3 comments:
all new to me :)
I enjoyed the D post, this one is egotistical
I knew of a few, but definitions for...one? I forget now...I opened the comment box, went to supper and came back to this ergonomic chair...
Post a Comment