Mission Moment
We have been challenged for the past year as individuals, a couple, and as a family to define what missions mean to us.
We have family who have taken the step of faith to enroll in a school that trains families to go into remote tribes and share the gospel.
We have seen people who have given up their summers to volunteer at a camp that was struggling.
We have seen families ladle out soup at the local men's hostel.
We have talked and talked and read and read.
We have heard stories of people going oversees and not connect with a single "non-christian"
We have heard stories of great church gatherings in remote tribes starving for the Word.
We have heard stories of people who romanticized mission work, and ended up in bad situations.
We have heard stories of people who just had the "call" and up and left. (Just like that.... Wow is all I have to say to that!)
We have looked into our our "mission work" here in Canada.
We have asked what makes a missionary a missionary? Does a missionary have to go to remote locations or oversees at all?
We have talked many a night about being a missionary here in our own neighbourhood verses going out into all the world.
We have spent many a date night discussing how our "gifts" play a role in being a missionary.
Many a breakfast we have wondered about our role as parents; does that count as mission work?
I can't say we have come up with any concrete answers, but we have certainly made steps to broadening our views of short and long term missions, and practical application here in our own neighbourhood.
And of course what does one do if one doesn't agree with what someone else is doing?!
After all this thought and discussion.....
I think we have really learned alot about being non-judgemental.
Thankfully God knows the intention of our hearts. And only we can answer for what God is telling us.
I can't say we are feeling lead to go on over to Romania just yet:) but that doesn't discount the work I am doing at home with my own kids, or the teaching Ron does at school. I can't say I agree completely with those organizations that send missionary kids back home away from parents to only be seen every 5 - 10 years, but again, I can't say that they are wrong either. That is the funny thing about having a personal relationship with a loving Saviour, is that each relationship is special and PERSONAL! Hopefully I am getting the same message as my husband, but isn't nice that you aren't getting the same message as us!
I can honestly say I am pretty happy where we are and more than eager to get our kids making cards for the sick members of our church or making simple baby blankets for our local pregnancy crisis centre. It may not seem like we are missionaries, but I think in our own way we too are sharing the love of our Lord with those we come in contact with.
There really is no way to end this blog. We all are hopefully learning and challenging ourselves regularly about what mission work means to us, and how we play a role in the great commission.
4 comments:
I really like the sentence..."There really is no way to end this blog." That was really thought provoking... yet again, and I've walked most of that post with you!
Thanks, not only for your comment but for the walk as well:)
Sabrina, reading your blog, I remember agonizing about whether I should apply for nursing (wayback when!) and mom (granny) saying, maybe it doesn't really matter to God what you do (for a living), he only just wants you to be willing to do his will, so put each foot forward and doors will open or close as you go. Somebody else said God doesn't ask us to be good, he asks us to be holy, as he is holy. So if we concentrate on finding out about his holiness and go on with our lives, he will lead us in the way we should go. And for now training up 3 children and/or teaching 30 in a classroom, think how many lives you are affecting - the ripple effect - it is certainly mission work.
Love, A. Joyce
Thanks Aunt joyce, that is great encouragement.
Post a Comment