One last attempt to get all the cousins together.... and still we are missing kids! But next year we know how to do it, so we'll get it right then!
FIRST HAIR CUT!! 18 months and finally cuttin ghis hair. We were only getting the knots out, but now that we have made the first cut.. I am ready to cut it all off!! Maybe before Christmas photos!

Armed and dangerous! To top off our extremely thankful weekend, we stopped at my home for lunch on Monday. which turned out to be a big ham dinner. While there we were given the honor of firing our first ever "Easton shot" from the cannon. What fun!

4 comments:
Thanks for sharing these pictures, they are great! :) I was reading your blog on videos. I don't know the conversation you had... was someone saying they thought that talking animals were bad?
My personal main concern with videos is the "zoned out" look and attitude that comes after watching for awhile. I notice a drastic change in Squeaky's behavior if she's had too much TV. And I also notice that it easily becomes a selfish outlet for me- "Here kid, watch a video so I don't have to parent you for the next half hour..."
Also, one time we were watching a video that I deemed appropriate, but Squeaky talked about it for weeks saying, "scary... scary" They are so impressionable, aren't they? Needless to say, we haven't watched that one again.
Yeah someone was saying talking animals showed they had a spirit and soul. So therefore not good to watch. Which I agree with. I just hink that we need to teach them not just let them watch, and that goes for everything. They really are immpressionable. With they boys being sick our video watching was up a bit. BUt we do usually only one video a day. That's our usual max.
Any more and I notice a behaviour change. And they don't want to read their books and they get really impatient and grumpy.
This is an interesting discussion!
When I was little all my stuffed animals talked and had personalities. With the help of one of my older brother's imagination they ran for presidency (campaign speeches and propaganda included), chased tornados and reported them on the radio, had a passion for cardboard box cars, ate candy like it was going out of style and spent an immense amount of time standing on their heads. None of these imaginings made me believe that my animals had souls and spirits or that they were on the same plane as human beings. But they did help develop in me an active imagination that served me all through childhood.
I agree that it has more to do with the training and instruction we as parents give our children concerning their value as God's pinnacle creation than with whether or not they saw Winnie the Pooh talking about honey. I think there are many things in this world that could lead to false and even idolatrous ideas in our children- but nothing is more dangerous than a parent who has checked out on training.
My biggest struggle in parenting(and life for that matter!) is to consistently talk about God and model Christ-like behavior. Like it says in Deuteronomy 6- "Impress (these commandments) on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up..." That is the strongest training a child could receive- and the rest of life will fall into its proper place when Christ is the focus. Just some things I've been thinking about.
Just another thought I had- it is easy to put down a list of do's and don'ts for ourselves because it allows us to screen things easily. But is this right? Shouldn't everything come under the scrutiny of God's Word? I struggle with wanting to fall back on a list of rules and regulations rather than deal with things on a case by case basis because then I don't have to really think about it. But I think it would be much better to keep the bigger picture in mind- "Does this glorify God? Is His character disregarded by _____ (whatever the issue is)" I confess, I'm often just a common day Pharisee!
Post a Comment