Friday, October 06, 2006

Funny isn't it....

It's funny isn't how we all raise our kids differently! I was having a chat with a friend of mine about what we let the boys watch. As they have an older sister it is more likely that they are going to see a movie "before their time" then any other ckild their age.
I told her our limits, No sorcery, no "fake Bible stories" no dark and scary ( like finding Nemo) No toy story ( due to pentagrams etc). But now we do let the boys watch talking animals.

Now we have a 10 year old. So I am well aware of the affect violence and coarse language in a movie have on children. It makes it more acceptable. I get that. I have seen that. But tell me what the problem is with someone making up a story for animals? Is it not just make belief? Do our kids not pretend to feed their dollies, or in our case their stuffed animals? Do they not make up bed times and and tea parties with their teddy bears? Is it not the same with carttons and animation?

Someone please explain to me what is the issue with movies about talking animals or animals with voices, or a dog playing football? Is it really more sinister than a vegetable pretending to be a Bible character, or a talking stuffed pooh bear?

I am challanged. I look at our movies, and yes we have hundreds. And I see that there aren't many, in fact if any that don't have at least one talking or character animal ( I am thinking even Charlie Brown has snoopy, and veggie tales now have the caterpillar from Jonah.)
Does this idea include books as well? How about Hermie or the cat in the hat?

I realize that we still have to teach our children that animals do not have souls and do not go to heaven and they aren't going to start a conversation at the table. But don't we have to teach them the same thing with any other video they watch? We wouldn't really let our kids think that Daniel was really a cucumber and no they didn't have pizza or milkshakes back then.

Alright my rant went a little longer than expected! Again though I am challenged and am interested in the stance behind banning talking animals.

Happy thanks giving everyone!

No comments: