Saturday, October 25, 2008



My Brother
We had the opportunity to join him at Base Borden for his leadership course graduation. I can say we were pretty proud of how far he has come in his healing from the accident 4 years ago. Our little budding photographer was in charge of the camera while I tended the boys.
One of our little guys has a morbid fear of parades. Terrified. So when we actually entered the building for the official parade he was beyond reason. I often find myself asking why parents would ever make their children do something that frightens them or that they aren't comfortable with. Especially when it is something that life would carry on without. But here I was forced with that decision! He climbed on my lap and wailed at the top of his lungs to go back to the van. Now this was also the last opportunity for him to see his Uncle for a few months at the least. So I really didn't want to miss out. So I took him outside for a breath of fresh air and to at least calm him down a touch. We made a deal. I would clamp my hands over his ears as tight as I could and he would't yell! I am sure the same annoyance I get when parents force their little ones to do something silly that scares them or brings them to tears for the sake of the picture, was rippiling through the crowd as I dragged this poor little frightened tyke across the parade square.
My own father was less then impressed let me tell you.
My brave little boy made it 1.5 hours in the parade building. He slept a little, and by the end of the awards he was a least sitting up. By the end of the parade he was jumping up and down on the stands cheering for unlce John! To say the very least we went out afterwards and gave him a very big treat for being so brave!
It has certainly cleared up my opinion of forcing our kids to do something. I think that unless it is very important to our family, or involves a life lesson, I won't, couldn't do that again!

He won the top award!


On our way out of the Base we stopped by the war museum. Here the kids can climb on the real deal. Grandpa bought them their very own special cowboy hats for the day!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for John and good for his nephews too.
Seems his niece has become a good photographer now!!
congrats to all!!
Gram

Dennis and Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.