Oh man, the boys have been sick for weeks.... literally coming on to 3 full weeks of vomiting and the runs and tired and cranky. I have found myself over these past three weeks tired and cranky myself! I am stripping bedding at least twice a day. I go through a package of 60 diapers in half a week. I am constantly reminding the boys not to scream or hit or bite or head butt each other. I have been finding myself resenting not having a moment of peace in a day. Not to say anything of the daily struggles in life.
Well today on my moring jog, I heard two songs on my mp3 player. One was cry out to Jesus and the other was All for Jesus. The songs pricked little holes in my cold selfish heart.
Later that morning I had taken the boys out for a walk to the baseball diamond. We hit a few innings using imaginary balls and a little toy blue as a bat ( his speech therapist would be proud!). After that our son wanted to go to the different playground, on he had just discoverd last week. We reached the edge of the tunnel you have to go through to get to it and he was so sick. HE just doubled up on himself and vomited; repeatedly. His brother started to cry and he started to cry and I started to cry. I was frustrated at the thought of having to be covered yet again in vomit to get him home. He was covered. So I made him walk for a bit. I felt a little guilty so I carried him facing away from me. Half way home he wanted down. And did not want back up. I felt awful. And a few more holes in my nasty selfish heart were drilled. What is another load of laundry when I can make my son know he is loved and proteced and that I would do anything for him. So I scooped him up and put his head on my shoulder. We made it home and I threw the clothes in the laundry. After bedding the boys down, I checked my email. My husband had sent me a link for Nooma.com ( Rain to be specific)
And lo and behold what was the topic.... Storms in life. It was based on a story of The man going for a walk with his son and a storm let loose. About how he cradled his son and whispered to him all the way home through this rain.
How it is with us in the storms of life. the ones that come out of nowhere, the ones that drag on for weeks. God is calling us to come to him for help. God is calling us to rest in His arms. And to be sheltered by Him.
Suddenly I am not feeling so selfish anymore. I am still tired and the laundry is still there and the dryer is still broken and the kids are still sick and the bedding still needs to be changed and the stresses of life are still all around me.
But in the eye of this storm is God.
3 comments:
wow! I'm glad such a yicky day can be used to bring you such a lesson :) Sorry you've got to go through the yick though. hugs from me, Patti
Oh Sabrina. I'm sorry you have had such a rough go of it. Isn't God good to have encouraged you in the midst of it... He is with you!
Lots of love, Valerie
This story makes me want to reach way over there and scoop them up and give them big huge hugs!! Wish I could help...all I can be is moral support right now. Give them all hugs from me. Love youse all, Aunt Bee
Post a Comment